Almay Liquid Lip Balm: Lilac Love Review


I used to use so many Almay products as a younger teen.. Now, I don't even think twice about them when I walk by their display at the drugstore. I guess it's just one of those things you use as a kid (the wrong way, not to mention)... then when you see it in stores, it just brings back all those old memories!
Is it just me? I shudder when reminded of how awfully I used to apply makeup as a kid.

When Almay recently had a promotion on Facebook for Canadian residents where they gave away 50 products a day, one of them being their new line of liquid lip balms, I knew I had to win one! And if I wasn't luck enough to win one, I knew I had to go buy one! Fortunately, I was able to get one (for those who couldn't, don't hate me!!) and I chose the colour in advanced so I wouldn't be hesitating at the last second. 50 products a day for 40,000 fans on facebook is the worst idea ever! There were hundreds of pissed off people, because the 50 balms were gone in less than a minute. It was crazy!


Almay claims... 194% more moisture when wearing this as opposed to bare lips.. also that it is non-sticky, gluten free, and hypoallergenic.

Colour: I chose the colour Lilac Love, because I thought it would show up best on my pigmented lips. It does come in 10 other shades, but only a few seem dark enough to actually show up on the lips. Lilac Love is a medium lilac with purple and blue shimmer. On my pigmented lips it looks like a dull pink with a hint of purple. The colour is sheer but shows up enough on my lips. I think it looks best with subtle eyes on me... but you can probably just throw it on with any kind of makeup! Below I paired it with reddish brown eyeshadow, but just for fun!

My Opinion: Despite not completely believing their claims, I did feel like this kept my lips moisturized, and I think it's a great alternative to a regular, colourless lip balm. It is a bit heavy on the lips, but after disliking the heaviness at first, I felt like it was a layer of protection after wearing it a few more times. At first I thought "what do they mean non-sticky, this feels pretty sticky!" and then I remembered.. the reason I stopped wearing lipgloss: my lips would literally stick together sometimes. This isn't very sticky but it still has a bit of stickiness to it, if that makes sense. But I kind of expect that in a gloss.
Scent, Texture, Staying Power: It has a bit of an oily texture to it, and smells like grape cotton candy! Yumm. I really like the scent of it. There is no taste to it, thank god. I noticed that this stayed on quite a while if I didn't eat or drink. It also did not dry out my lips like most coloured lip products do which I give it an A+ for!

Overall: I will definitely purchase more of these but in the darker shades, only. I do believe they show up much better than the lighter shades, which probably don't show up at all, because of how sheer these are. I do wish they were a little more pigmented. I think this is ideal for adding a little bit of colour when you don't want the hassle of having to worry about re-applying, or smudging, and you don't want to dry out your lips.

Lips: Almay Liquid Lip Balm in Lilac Love
On Eyes: CoverGirl Flamed Out Shadow Pencil in Red Hot Flame (#beautyunited sample), and Meet Matt(e) Nude Palette, Cailyn Gel Liner

Disclaimer: I won this product in a giveaway. All opinions stated are my own and not influenced by any affiliates!