Clarins Radiance-Plus Golden Glow Booster

clarins radiance golden glow booster face tanner review

Searching forever for a product that will self-tan my face without harsh or unnecessary ingredients, I was ecstatic to discover that Clarins had finally fulfilled my wishes with their new Radiance-Plus Golden Glow Booster!..or so they say. I must have not been the only one searching for something to tan the face without looking too unnatural or splotchy. I saw a ton of bloggers post photos about the launch event and blog posts about this product and although pricey at $30 CAD, I knew I had to pick it up and see if it lived up to its claims. Summer was on its way and I was just so sick of being pale, it was time to try something new.

The idea of this product is pretty revolutionary and I have never seen anything like it before, and I'm not just saying that! There are a ton of self-tanners available for your face, body, or face + body, but there are none that can be added into your moisturizer with a tiny dropper. A huge plus is that it can give you buildable colour; you can add as many or as little drops as you'd like to your moisturizer.

Ingredients:
Aqua/Water, Dihydroxyacetone (DHA), Alcohol, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Erythrulose, Xanthan Gum, Caramel, Citric Acid, Ethylene Brassylate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate.

clarins radiance golden glow booster face tanner review

Instructions on how to use this is to pump your regular moisturizer into your palm, and then push 3 drops of this stuff onto it, mix it in with you hands, then quickly apply to the face. It is important to wash your hands after thoroughly. I didn't once and I had this brown stain under my index finger! This can be used during the day or night, but I'd prefer to use it at night so it doesn't interact with my makeup/primer for the day. It does have a light scent (that damn DHA!) but it's quite faint when mixed with moisturizer. It did not break me out, I like that it contains plant extracts and the simplicity of ingredients. It did give me a golden glow that is buildable. I apply a different amount every night depending on what I think I need, but typically 3-4 drops to start and then 1-2 drops a night to maintain the colour. The colour... isn't very strong, but definitely does work on my pale skin. I have been using it to match the light tan on my body which I've achieved by applying Vita Liberata's 4-7 Day Tan Mousse and it matches perfectly. It isn't streaky or splotchy as far as I can tell, but it does fade quite quickly.

Pros:
- You choose how much of a tan you want based on how many drops you use and how frequently
- Scent isn't overpowering
- Adds an instant glow

Cons:
- Fades quickly, have to apply daily
- Can stain hands easily if not rinsed properly

The Golden Glow Booster gives you a glow that might be too yellow for someone with strong pink undertones (I have a warm yellow skintone). It is foolproof to use as long as you mix it in your palms with your moisturizer, and I love that your colour can be "made-to-measure". I've used it with 3 different moisturizers (a light, a gel, and an all-natural) and have had no problems, so you don't need to use it with only a Clarins moisturizer. It kind of saddens me to see the amount of product disappearing because it is so pricey. I also wish it wasn't an every night type of deal, I'd prefer something I'd only have to apply weekly, but the ease of application makes me not mind so much!

Feb 2015 Update: Just re-purchased yesterday for a Shoppers bonus points event! I tried a different self tanner that worked better but didn't seem to do well with my face. I love how this one works with a moisturizer and will be using it until I find a cheaper replacement, but it did last quite a while.

What do you think of this new innovation? Have you tried Clarins Golden Glow Booster?