Review: Revlon Selects

Sometime around mid November, Revlon Canada had a contest where they would choose 500 Canadians to participate in reviewing a few of their products which were then sent out to the 500 chosen. I was one of the 500 chosen to review a select few of their products! In return I was sent the products for review. I was honestly super excited because I thought that I would have never been chosen. I received my box sometime in December but I recently moved, so I could not find the time to blog about it until now! I think it is great that Revlon Canada is able to do something like this because they are really getting honest reviews and feedback from us.


Here is what I happily opened the box to...


After taking out a TON of these little paper confetti, I finally saw a peak of the products!


Products Received:

From L to R: Revlon PhotoReady Primer + Shadow in Metropolitan 501, Revlon Nail Art Expressionist in Vincent Van Gold 360, Revlon Nail Art Moon Candy in Orbit 280, Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Suede in Backstage 035, Revlon Glitter Silver Nail File Board.

Revlon PhotoReady Primer + Shadow in Metropolitan (501)
I thought it was cool that there was a primer in this palette, only to find out that it is the colour to the bottom left. It's meant to be swept all over the lid and to act as a primer but I found that it just worked best as a highlighter. I used my UDPP as a base and did a quick look with these eyeshadows following the instructions on the palette but I didn't like the way it turned out. The colours are great, but I don't think they work best the way the palette instructed. The brown base colour is amazing, and it applied very well but the sparkely gold (bottom right) was disappointing as it had a ton of fallout and did not apply well at all. The highlighter (top) was lovely and I think looks a little stronger over the primer (bottom left). I didn't find the silver shade very useful for a neutral look but I think it's best used in the inner corners or on top of a silver pencil or liner, as the pigment is not very strong on its own.

See swatches below!

Revlon PhotoReady Primer + Shadow in Metropolitan swatched over UD Primer Potion in daylight.
Swatches are in order of the palette from the top down.

Revlon Nail Art Expressionist in Vincent Van Gold (360)
I adore this idea! At first I didn't enjoy the colours we were sent, but I learnt to love them after applying them on my nails. The purple is a very pretty metallic which is a lot lighter on the nail than what's in the bottle. After applying the purple I used the metallic gold to add a bit of flavour! I decided to french tip the nails, only to find some photos on instagram of this other design that reminded me of tiger stripes. If I remember the u/n I will link it here.

Keep in mind that I only used 1 coat of the purple base (was clearly too excited to apply the gold!) and this was my first try using any sort of smaller brush for details on the nails.


Next is another nail enamel duo!

Revlon Nail Art Moon Candy in Orbit (280)
I didn't like this one as much as the other duo. I definitely think there should have been more sparkles. I didn't like the purple in the bottle of this one as well but on the nails it actually looked very cute and not dull as I was expecting! You can definitely use these colours seperately.. I want to try layering the glitter over a lighter colour and see if it will be more reflective!

I have to say I did not do a very good job and I made my cuticles look horrible (they aren't very nice to begin with though) because I didn't apply the glitter coat all the way to the cuticle as I was just focusing on placing the glitter the way I liked it. Fine..you can take a look...hehe..


You at least get the idea right!? Just don't look at the ugly cuticles! I really liked the way the glitter showed up under light but I wish it was brighter, or more reflective. My bf thought I made a mistake when he saw it from afar and I had to explain to him it was just the glitter.

Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Suede in Backstage (035)
This was actually the very first product I tried out! I actually really like the formula and it really does stain the lips! I could only get this off with my oily eye makeup remover. I think I may purchase a few of the other colours of these as I won't have to worry about reapplying throughout the day. I only wore this at night so I'm not sure if it lasts a full day but I will test that out soon!
- Colour didn't transfer after it was set, took about 20-30 minutes to set. It was a bit sticky before it finally set so I'd suggest applying it a little before going out.
- Very deep red, I thought it to be an oxblood at first, but that's because I applied too much and my lips are very pigmented haha, it is much more of a wine red.
- Careful when applying, do not use too much pressure because it could cause it to be slightly darker at some points on the lips
- Felt slightly drying after having it on for a few hours but I just used my EOS lipbalm to make sure my lips were still moisturized.
- Great colour for all skin tones, I'm very pale right now and I think it looked great on my pale skin.

Don't know why I blurred this out so much, I added 2 more below but again it was much darker on me in person, I will hopefully take a daylight photo soon.

Revlon Ultimate Suede in Backstage lip swatch under artificial light.
Colour shows lighter than what was on the lips.


I would probably purchase the ColorStay Ultimate Suede Lipstick, in a different shade, and possibly a Nail Art Expressionist in a different colour combo as well!
Thanks for reading my Revlon Selects review! I hope to have the opportunity to do more of these in the future!