The Balm Mary-Lou Manizer Highlighter Review


I've seen so many people raving about this highlighter that I was so desperate to get it, but I wasn't willing to pay the price for it. Initially, I bought Hard Candy's Tiki because I've heard it's a great dupe, however, I don't find it to be much of a dupe at all. The Balm Mary Lou Manizer feels much creamier and silker, and more pigmented and brighter on the skin. It is a true highlighter whereas Hard Candy's Tiki is labelled as a Bronzer for a 'sun-goddess glow', and the colour is harder to build up and more on the orangey side. I swatched them both below:


Ingredients: Mica, Isoeicosane, Polyethylene, Boron Nitride, Polyisobutene, Pfte, Silica, Synthetic Wax, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

Packaging: I'm not a packaging whore (hehe) but I do love when a product has colourful or pretty packaging! What I like about the packaging is that the compact is designed like the box it comes in, rather than just being a plain silver compact! Sorry that I don't have a picture of the box, the back of it is just as fun as the front!

How It's Used: This highlighter was designed for your cheeks, lids, or all over as a finishing touch. I personally think it works best for the cheeks/cheek bones, and anywhere else you'd like to highlight. It can also be used to highlight your brow bone, or on the inner corners of your eyes. There is more shimmer than there is colour, so I wouldn't recommend using this as an eyeshadow. Instead, maybe it could be used over a dull eyeshadow to give it some shine! I have been using this daily and I love it to highlight the bridge of my nose and my cheekbones. I use it lightly because I just want a subtle shimmer that can be seen when the light hits my face. 

Overall: This highlighter is super pigmented, creamy, and easy to apply. It seems to last throughout the day if untouched, but it is a powder product, so if you'd want it to stay even longer, maybe try a setting spray (I don't use setting sprays so I don't know how well they work, just a suggestion!). I just love how easy this is to just lightly sweep over the cheeks for a shimmery glow. It's totally worth the money and if your unsure I'd suggest swatching it at a store first!

Below, I have swatched it again for you, and took a before and after shot of my face without and then with the highlighter on my cheeks and bridge of my nose. You can't see it too well because I use it subtly but the little shimmer it adds to my face is satisfying enough for me!

Before: Full Face Makeup before Mary-Lou Manizer || After: With Mary-Lou Manizer lightly on nose and cheeks

I was lucky enough to get this highlighter on sale during The Balm's 50% off sale a while ago, but it is regularily available for $24 on their website. Although, last time I checked, their international shipping rates are extremely high, so I'd suggest Nail Polish Canada if your shopping online. Rexall also carries the line at select locations!

Have you tried this highlighter? What do you think of it? Do you have any good dupes to recommend?