L'Oreal Colour Caresse: Shine Stain Vs. Lipstick (Review + Lip Swatches)


loreal color caresse stain vs lipstick

I wanted to do a quick comparison on the new L'Oreal Colour Riche Lipstick and Wet Shine Stain. I currently only have one of each as I am really picky with what I buy. I typically have to look up shades, reviews, and swatches before purchasing. I have quite pigmented lips, so knowing how dark lipsticks show up on me I tend to buy them sparingly to avoid ending up with a bunch of colours I can't use. I know these are popularly compared to the YSL's, but I've never tried those (and probably never will, I can't justify spending $40 on one lipstick or gloss) so I can't compare these to them!

loreal color caresse stain vs lipstick

I was only planning on picking up the Lipstick in 181 Sheer Linen, because I don't like glosses. Right now the only other glosses I own are those previously given out in beauty boxes. But I ended up getting the Wet Shine Stain in 187 Infinite Fuchsia during a spur of the moment thing. Gee what a waste of $10!

loreal color caresse stain vs lipstick

Infinite Fuchsia looks to be a hot pink with a hint of red in the tube, like a true deep fuchsia. Sheer Linen looks like a medium brown, but it actually comes off much lighter than what you see.

color caresse infinite fuchsia sheer linen swatch
shine stain infinite fuchsia

color caresse infinite fuchsia

L'Oreal Colour Caresse Wet Shine Stain:
Available in 12 Shades - $9.96 for 0.21 oz or 6.3 ml
What It's Suppose to Do: L'Oreal claims this to be a hydrating gloss with staining properties. It is suppose to contain 30% water so the lips will be left soft and hydrated for up to 6 hours. Product is suppose to feel 'barely there' with a non-sticky feel. 

My Opinion: My first dislike was the smell. Some have said it smells like flowers, it smells like strong chemicals to me.. medicine or something. I can smell the floral scent, but it definitely does not smell like real flowers! I can't comment on how long this stains on me, or whether it dries out my lips or not, because I couldn't wear it for longer than 15 minutes. It did leave a stain in that span of time but it left it in all the wrong places. I can say that this gloss/shine stain needs to be applied evenly very quickly because otherwise it will end up very blotchy, and stain darker in certain areas. I am quite pale with dark hair, and thought this looked too overpowering on my skin, it was way too dark. Maybe on tanned skin, with smaller lips, it would look a lot less "whoa". That's actually the reaction I got while trying this on at home, which discouraged me to want to wear it out!

Swatches: Okay, so, the first two photos look okay, but I can assure you it's quite darker in person. When I applied multiple layers (I actually just accidentally kept slathering it on, you will see...) it seemed to cling to certain areas, ended up being really blotchy. 

color caresse infinite fuchsia lip swatch
color caresse infinite fuchsia lip swatch

Taken on a different day... (this was actually attempt number 1 below, I know.. BAD application on my part!)
color caresse infinite fuchsia lip swatch

So in order to get an even, opaque, colour, you need to apply multiple layers, or you will have a very light stain (which can be better!) But on my lips, Infinite Fuchsia is definitely a no. The colour isn't right for me. Would definitely not buy this again, but besides the colour, I don't like the formula or the scent either. the fast drying doesn't leave a lot of time for those who aren't so quick with application. I don't feel like the sheer colours from this line are even worth it because they wouldn't leave a noticeable stain without layers and layers of application.

Pros:
- Colour can be built with layering
- Does leave a stain
- Thin, wet, formula
Cons:
- Colour not right for my skin tone or lip size
- Scent smelt chemically
- Need to apply quickly
- Requires multiple layers for opacity
- Applies blotchy and accentuates darker spots

color caresse sheer linen
L'Oreal Colour Caresse Lipstick:
Available in 12 Shades - $9.96 for 0.1 oz or 2.96 ml
What It's Suppose to Do: "Formulated with 50% less wax than traditional lipstick, the revolutionary Lightfeel System delivers a feather-light finish that’s never sticky or heavy."

My Opinion: More on the sheer side, but can be built up for opacity. I LOVE this lipstick and am planning to buy a lot more from this line. I can wear it for the entire day without feeling like it's drying out my lips too much. I don't have to worry about the colour fading because it is similar enough to my true lip colour. I can't explain how much I love this. It feels buttery and smooth, doesn't accentuate any dark or deep lines in my lips, and it hides the redness or dark spots from my lip picking habit.. (hehe). I found that Maybelline Color Whisper went on smooth (not as smooth as this) but ended up drying out my lips in a few hours that I couldn't even re-apply, I had to use a balm instead. With these, I can wear the colour on my lips all day. Okay actually, they can be a bit drying on my lips, but I realize that everything from lip butters to lip treatments to lipsticks dry out my lips and causes me picking them in the end. I think I need to apply a balm in between application. This is definitely a wearable nude that doesn't lighten up my lips too much. The scent is pleasant, smells like candy, and it doesn't taste bad.

Swatches:

color caresse sheer linen lip swatch
color caresse sheer linen lip swatch

Pros:
- Sheer but can be built up
- Feels buttery soft, light on lips
- Very wearable nude
- Covers redness or dark spots
- Has a much better, candy scent to it
Cons:
- Rubs/fades away quickly, needs often reapplying
- Slightly drying after an hour or so, although my lips seem to dry out from almost everything

color caresse sheer linen infinite fuchsia

So this kind of ended up turning into a 'Reasons Why I Don't Like the L'Oreal Wet Shine Stain' post but I had to express the things I dislike about it, and to warn others who have darker or more pigmented lips to avoid these darker colours. The Colour Caresse lipsticks definitely win by a landslide in my books. I don't believe buying a lighter colour in the Wet Shine Stains would have made a difference either, I don't like the formula in general. 

Which do you prefer, if you have tried both? L'Oreal's Colour Caresse Lipsticks or Wet Shine Stains?