La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo [+] Review

la roche posay effaclar duo + plus review

La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo (+) is an acne treatment that has been recommended by skincare experts and bloggers for years, but has recently re-launched and slightly re-formulated as Effaclar Duo (+) and replaced Effaclar Duo. It comes in the same size 40ml tube and the gel-cream claims to provide a 24hr hydration, absorbs quickly, and has a non-oily finish.

Effaclar Duo (+) is also non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic, has no parabens, and developed for those sensitive to products containing nickel. It is most beneficial to those with acne-prone skin, clogged pores, and/or excess sebum.

la roche posay effaclar duo + plus review

Key Ingredients:
Procerad: A patented ceramide helps protect against the appearance of red or brown marks.
Niacinamide: The reference anti-inflammatory active ingredient for intensive soothing.
Piroctone  Olamine: To combat bacterial proliferation.
LHA & Salicylic Acid: For their complementary keratolytic actions.
Targeted Linoleic Acid: To regulate keratinocytes, plus target the follicle.

la roche posay effaclar duo + plus review

After attending La Roche Posay's Acne Beauty School and getting educated on the most common causes and effects of acne, I took home to test out the Effaclar Duo (+) and have been using it nightly for months now. I was sceptical at first because acne products don't typically get along with my skin and usually just end up drying out my pimple. The formula of the Effaclar Duo (+) is light and similar to the original 'Duo' having the same scent, but the consistency is more creamy. The major difference is that the Duo (+) is intended for full face use along with spot treatment, as it has additional hydration and skin improving properties. It dries quickly and feels absorbed into the skin. It is wearable under makeup however I prefer to use the Effaclar Mat in the daytime just because it's a bit lighter and cooling on the face.

My skin thankfully did not react badly to the salicylic acid and it probably took longer than a week to notice any improvement in my skin's condition. When I started using this it was actually during the beginning stages of what seemed to be a bit of a breakout. It cleared up my skin, the bumps felt minimized and I noticed that pimples that were rapidly appearing before were now beginning to disappear. I have been using the Effaclar Duo (+) everyday and while it doesn't prevent the odd huge pimple from popping up, it prevented many emerging pimples from getting worse or scarring. Even with the odd pimple, the redness during, and scarring afterwards is minimal.

la roche posay effaclar duo + plus review

It did not dry out my skin at all, but I'd suggest only using it as a spot treatment if you don't need it for the full face. I use it with a moisturizer at night but I've used it alone as well. I do like to quickly massage it into my skin to have it better absorbed. Hopefully, it won't dry out the skin during the colder months, but I will have to report back on that. This is the first La Roche Posay product I have tried and it has left me with a very good impression. I would definitely pick this up again as it has really reduced the amount of acne and scarring that I have been getting. I also appreciate the affordable pricing for a higher-end product.

La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo (+) is available at Shoppers Drug Mart, and select Pharma Plus's in Canada for $26, it can also be found at Ulta in the US (has benzyl peroxide rather than salicylic acid), or online at Feel Unique internationally.

This product was received for consideration. All opinions stated are my own and are not influenced by any affiliates.