La Roche Posay Effaclar Mat Review

la roche posay effaclar mat daily moisturizer oily skin review

La Roche Posay Effaclar Mat is a daily moisturizer targeted specifically for those with oily skin. I wouldn't say I have terribly oily skin, I find it to be more combination of oily + dry, but I love a good moisturizer that will control my oiliness during hot weather. The Effaclar Mat claims to be suitable for sensitive skin and is proven to have a long lasting mattifying effect while neutralizing shine, and tightening the look of pores. It is paraben-free and non-comedogenic.

I received this over the summer when I attended the La Roche Posay Acne Beauty School event, an introduction of the new La Roche Posay Duo (+). I was actually recommended to try this by Maggie of Beauty PhD during the event because we were discussing oily skin just moments before (you know you're a blogger when..).

la roche posay effaclar mat daily moisturizer oily skin review

Effaclar Mat features LHA, a micro-exfoliant, said to reveal smoother, healthier looking skin. However, it also contains an ingredient called Sebulyse which is beneficial to target excess sebum to mattify and refine pores.

It comes in a 40ml tube, which is compact but a little on the small side and can be used up quickly if you are not cautious when applying. I have been using it quite often for over 2 months and there seems to be 1/3 or less of product left. Effaclar Mat glides on the face easily, the texture is very gel-like, it feels cooling and absorbs instantly. A little goes a long way and you only need slightly more than a pea sized amount. It works great as a makeup base and it does help keep my skin matte longer throughout the day. It is definitely not recommended for someone who has dry skin, and I probably wouldn't use it throughout the winter as it might not be moisturizing enough.

My skin stays matte throughout the day (I typically use Covergirl Ready Set Gorgeous FD) however your foundation will also play a part in this. I will typically have to touch up my t-zone but there is no escaping that, this is definitely one of the most mattifying moisturizer's I have tried.


PROS
Absorbs instantly.
Compact.
Little goes a long way.
Keeps my skin matte throughout the majority of the day.
Great for hotter months. Great as a makeup base.

CONS 
Probably not suitable for cold weather.
Small tube for price.
Says for daytime use but has no SPF.

If you have the La Roche Posay Duo (+) and are wondering what the difference is.. this is targeted as more of a moisturizer for oily skin to reduce shine, whereas the Duo (+) is targeted to all skin types, especially sensitive skin, with acne. Effaclar Mat works great under makeup and I think it's a great investment for those struggling with oily skin to try out. 

Effaclar Mat is available for $30 at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada. I would likely repurchase again when winter is over, or use it only on special occasions due to the high price and small amount of product. 

Have you tried La Roche Posay's Effaclar Mat, or any other products from the brand? What is your favourite, what would you like to try?

This product was received for consideration. All opinions stated are my own and are not influenced by any affiliates.