Vichy Aqualia Thermal Dynamic Hydration Cream Review


Doesn't this look familiar? Possibly.. maybe because.. I already reviewed it back in February this year. (You can see the post here.) In the summertime, Vichy revamped and repackaged their popular Aqualia Thermal Cream. The cream still comes in both 'Light' and 'Rich', and although the ingredients list is quite similar, I can definitely tell a difference on my skin.

The new Aqualia Thermal creams now are 2X more concentrated in Hyaluronic Acid (which increases your skin's ability to absorb water). 

The new formula also contains..

•  Vichy's Thermal Spa Water: has the ability to open intercellular canals to facilitate the passage of water between cells by stimulating the expression of aquaporin genes 3 and 9. 
•  Aquabioryl: a sugar obtained through a biotechnological process from plant-based substrates. It is able to create a highly-moisturizing protective film on the surface of the skin to reinforce the protection of the cutaneous barrier against dehydration. 
•  Carraghenanes: extracted from the cell walls of red algae, similar to the glycosaminoglycans found in the skin. Work to restore the barrier function, which can maintain moisture and smooth the surface of the skin.


Changes I have noticed in this cream is that it sinks into the skin quicker, and doesn't feel like it is sitting on top. The cream feels lighter, and I can wear the 'Light' version under my makeup without it feeling too heavy. The 'Rich' is a bit too rich for daytime use, I'd seriously only recommend it for those dealing with dry skin on a daily basis. If you only suffer from dry skin occasionally, or after exfoliating/using a mask, I'd say the Light is sufficient enough for you. 

I noticed my skin looked a bit too dry the other day after testing a new face wash and moisturizer, so I went back to using this and my skin has been back to normal since.

I stated in my previous review that I didn't like that the old version contains Alcohol Denat., however, after speaking with a representative from Vichy, I was told that the alcohol is used as a replacement for parabens; and read that it is also used as an anti-microbial agent to prevent bacteria or growth. I still do not like that this updated version contains dimethicone, but I can deal with it since it has not caused my skin any breakouts. 


I actually prefer the older packaging, but the newer glass jars come with a mirrored lid (although a bit distorted.. so I don't use it), and a stronger blue tint. 

Click to enlarge!

Above is a photo of the Light cream on the left, and Rich on the right. You can't really tell a difference at all in the photo but the cream in Rich looks a lot thicker. I also swatched them to the left but can't remember which one was which...


Ingredients: "Aqua, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Alcohol Denat., Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Stearyl Dimethicone, Ammonium Polyacryldimethyltauramide, Propylene Glycol, Synthetic Wax, Pentylene Glycol, Glyceryl Isostearate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phenoxyethanol, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Poloxamer 338, Disodium Edta, Caprylyl Glycol, Citric Acid, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Acrylates Copolymer, Parfum"

I do approve of the Aqualia Thermal's new formula because of it's better absorption into my skin, and I might end up purchasing the 'Light' version of this cream if I run out. 'Rich' is just too heavy for my skin. I do find it best suitable for colder months, so I'll likely only use it during the spring, fall, and winter. I do prefer Vichy's ProEven Daily Dark Spot Corrector as a day face cream however. The Aqualia Thermal cream should be available in drugstores for at 50ml sizes for $38.50 CAD. 

Gift set available at drugstores in Canada (I've only seen them at Shoppers Drug Mart), $38.50

They currently have a holiday gift set available! For the price of one cream, you can also get a full sized Night Spa + a Travel Sized Serum. What do you think of the revamped Vichy Aqualia Thermal? Did you get a chance to try the older version?

These products were received for consideration. All opinions stated are my own and are not influenced by any affiliates. The post is not sponsored and I posted about the gift set because I wanted to and think it's a great deal if you are already going to purchase the cream; not because I had to!