Benefit Hoola Bronzer Review

hoola bronzer benefit review

The Hoola Bronzer by Benefit is probably one of the most talked about, and well known bronzers on the market. I purchased mine quite a while ago but was afraid of using it because I found it too pigmented. I recently started testing it out again and have come to love it! I found a super easy way to combat the strong pigments of this bronzer.

hoola bronzer benefit review

I think we can all agree that the packaging is cute (of course.. it's Benefit), however I find the box a little too bulky and the included brush is unnecessary.  

(Tip For Pale Skin Alert!) 
Hoola is matte with no shimmer. The bronzer is strongly pigmented so after dipping my brush in the little box, I'll pat a bit onto a tissue. This allows me to build the colour rather than dump a huge blot onto my cheek. I'd suggest doing this for pale to light skin, but darker skin tones may not have to worry about this and can just tap off the excess.

I typically use it with my Mac 109 Small Contour Brush to define the cheekbones, and then I blend it out with my Real Techniques Multitasking Brush. I also use this brush to add a bit more colour and create a softer look. It was quite easy to blend. 

hoola bronzer benefit review

It is easy to wear softly or for a stronger look. The colour is buildable and can definitely look natural or very defined. It gives a warm glow and you don't need much product at all to achieve this. It might be a bit too warm for light skin tones which is why I'd suggest to blot onto a tissue before applying. 

I used to be a Too Faced Chocolate Soleil girl, but after using this recently I think I've converted to the Benefit side! Benefit's Hoola is probably more suitable for all undertones (maybe better for neutral/warm undertones), whereas I found Too Faced Chocolate Soleil to be better for pink undertones.

I was surprised to see the bronzer last all day without much fading, if any, (I didn't notice any the way I do with other bronzers). 

hoola bronzer benefit worn over estee lauder double wear 1w2 sand
hoola bronzer benefit worn over estee lauder double wear 1w2 sand
Hoola Bronzer by Benefit worn over Estee Lauder Double Wear FD in 1W2 Sand. No blush, no highlighter.

At $35 CAD (at Sephora) this bronzer is very expensive in my eyes and I don't even know how I could pay that much for it! I'm hoping it lasts a while until I can find a cheaper dupe because I don't want to be paying that much again. However, I doubt there is anything much cheaper that is so easy to blend and wears for so long, so I will likely be sucked in again (damnit Benefit!).