Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge Review

real techniques miracle complexion sponge beauty blender dupe

I'm a huge Real Techniques fan and have collected pretty much all of their brushes, so when I heard about the release of this 'Beauty Blender' dupe, I was quite curious to see how it compared. I hadn't been able to find it in stores but it thankfully had been sent to me to test out.

The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge is a soft sponge for the application of foundation and concealer using either the flat edge, sides, or tip. The flat edge can be used for the entire face, and for contouring around the eyes and nose, rounded sides for blending, and precision tip for covering blemishes or imperfections. The sponge can be used dry for a fuller coverage or wet for a more natural look!

real techniques miracle complexion sponge beauty blender dupe
Rt Miracle Complexion Sponge: Dry

real techniques miracle complexion sponge beauty blender dupe
Rt Miracle Complexion Sponge: Expanded When Wet

First Impressions: At first I was doubting the performance of this sponge, as I have heard nothing compares to the Beauty Blender. I was pretty impressed upon using the sponge that it was soft, and squishy enough to feel gentle on my face. Upon my first application using Rt's Complexion Sponge and my Revlon Colorstay Foundation, I was able to get a full coverage and had an easy time applying the foundation to the sides of my nose, and under my eyes with the flat edge. The texture of the sponge and feeling on my face was quite similar to my Beauty Blender, but it was definitely more stiff. 

Application: I typically have been using the sponge dry, on the flat edge for a full face application, and the sides to smooth and blend out any excess foundation or blotchiness from using the flat edge. Using the flat edge requires a bit more blending, but it allows me to cover a larger portion of my face, faster, and feels much more gentle on the face and under the eyes. The only concern I had with the flat edge design, was that it seemed as if it might begin to wear down with a few more washes (but crossing my fingers that it doesn't!) 

Does it Expand? Oh, and for the final test.... did it expand when wet!? Yes! Not sure if you can really tell in the photos above, but the Real Techniques sponge did expand quite a bit, which is what makes it the closest dupe to the Beauty Blender for me, as I know many other 'dupes' do not absorb water nor expand. But this also means that the sponge does absorb a bit of foundation during application in comparison to a brush. It was a lot easier to use the sponge wet because it was squishier, but it also gives you a less fuller coverage.

I would likely choose the Real Techniques sponge over the Beauty Blender due to the much lower price ($7-10 in comparison to $28), and the benefits of the flat edge. I'd like to see how durable it is and long it will last with weekly washes, and will report back here! Overall, I think this is a great sponge for the price and I will definitely repurchase!

The Real Techniques sponge can be bought online in Canada through FarleyCo, and is also available at select London Drugs, Pharmasave, and Lawton Drugs. You just might be able to find it at Walmart, but I haven't had any luck yet. It can also be found at FtbBeauty and iHerb, which both offering shipping within Canada. Click here to view other international locations where you can potentially find this sponge!


I received this product for consideration. All opinions stated are my own and are not influenced by any affiliates.